Skip to main content

My Third Mainland Bridge Fishing Experience


(Lady I paddling the boat)
If you are still doubting , let me help you. Yes I used a paddling/ engine boat on Saturday, paddled the boat (see the video on my instagram page @ubani.Irene) and fished directly under third mainlandbridge.

(Lady I directly under third mainland bridge )
 I must confess yeah, I made sure I didn't tell any family member except for Karen my elder sister who immediately  kicked against it and actually thought I wasn't  going to do it until I sent her the pictures.On seeing the pictures she said "I have always known you were not OK"

(Successful catch)

(Under third mainland bridge bridge)
The major question all my friends asked me after the wild adventure was "Really Lady I, but why?"

I choose to live carefully but not too careful that I miss out on the fun life has to offer.
Overtime, I have learnt to face my fears heads on just to ensure it doesn't have the best of me and rob me of great opportunities.

An aquintance recently asked me what inspired the adventure and I said I wanted to have a taste of the other side of life , do something outside the usual and most importantly to reassure myself that I could do anything.

Then he said to me " I realized that the quality of life is not in length but in depth. I don't want to run through lifes garden without  taking out time to sniff the roses."

                                     LIFE AT THE WATER SIDE/MAKOKO

(Lady I and partner in crime)

Meet Matthew, a twelve year old who started paddling since he was 9. He dropped us off at the Makoko waterside general hospital where we swapped boats to one with an engine which then took us towards third mainlandbridge.

The scenery there was like nothing I had ever seen in my life. They had an on canoe super market, food vendors, schools, churches, canoe dj, mechanic workshops, barbers shop, hair dressing salons, clubs..... and so much more.

(Canoe super market )

School children leaving school ( Photo credit Tega Ojeme @teygah0001)

I noticed the cheerful and receptive nature of the people on this side of life. They looked out of their windows and children ran out of their houses with euphoria to look at the "yellow pawpaw with cat eyes" who came to explore. I noticed crabs walking sideways right under their houses.

We eventually got to the end of the Makoko water side, further leading to third mainlandbridge. Apparently, we had to stop at their supposed "CUSTOMS POINT" which they call boarder. It's their way of keeping secure and ensuring that unfamiliar faces don't thread this path. I was quite impressed.

It didn't take long before we were directly under the bridge. The Fisher man cast his net into the sea and we were successful. I watched the water current as it gently glided against the body of the canoe. I really loved the sea breeze as it  blew against my face. I loved every moment there.

Vincent Van Goch,  a Dutch Post-impressionist painter said " The key to success is for you to make a habit throughout your life of doing things you fear." 

Sunday  my tour guide decided to show off a bit as he dove into the large expanse of water with no fear or trembling as the Bible would say. My best moment was under the bridge where I could  hear cars driving above me. I was super excited. I knew I had held fear in the throat. 
(Sunday in his swimming pool)
Les Brown once said that too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. I refuse to be a part of this set. 

After about 2 hours, we went back to Makoko. I stopped at the general hospital for a quick tour where I interviewed  the head doctor and she told me that the major complain they get from members of this community  are malaria and diarrhoea. I saw mothers who had just put to bed like hours before I came. It was amazing.
(One story duplex general hospital)

(Hours old baby and mum)

MY TAKE ON THIS EXPERIENCE

Joy is inborn and shouldn't be dependent on external factors. Some people are so scared of death that they forget to live. For these people, poverty is a state of mind and not dependent on how much they have. I noticed that as we paddled across each house, they all greeted themselves. When love is contagious then you know it is deeply rooted. If you wait to have all the goodies life has to offer before you find happiness  then you cheat yourself. Happiness is actually a state of the mind which you MUST have control over. 

Finally, learn to do things afraid.. 

P.S Don't forget to leave a comment below. 


With love
Lady I







Comments

  1. You are amazing, exploring such environment is not something I ever thought you could try but I am not surprised because I have known you to be a goal getter. Thumb up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so short of words to say with such a daring adventure and i was imagining lady I what were you up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear , I asked myself same but after I was done

      Delete
  3. This is soo AMAZING!!! You have motivated me to go on the plenty adventures I have always imagined about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE PLIGHT OF AN AFRICAN CHILD

It was a sultry Thursday afternoon. A certainly good time to take a cold shower. I had just finished  my CDS which is the community development service. Walking out of Mapo hall, I noticed over a dozen children sitting on the floor, dirty looking with no flip flops on. They gazed at the NYSC members hoping to get money or food from us. I just couldn't move a step further after I saw these children. I approached them and asked my friends to go on ahead. "Hi guys", I said to them. "Why are you not in school?"  It was just 1:15pm so it was logical to say they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Like a chorus, they replied, "Ko si Owo" meaning no money. I became more interested since I was told there was free education in Oyo. If you know me well enough, you should know am my own ambassador for a better Nigeria. I tried asking them more questions  and they told me  they usually pay 3000 naira in government schools so it was not totally f

BOOK SMART OR LIFE SMART

Hi lovelies !!!! I decided to do a blog hand over to a dear friend who’s a doctor by profession and I was opportune to work with for a while on the health desk. He’s quite an amazing dude and gosh , our first two weeks of working together was WAR!!! We were always arguing about any and everything possible. So I guess your wondering how on earth I allowed such an annoying guy into my blog space. Truth is we moved from being fight buddies to cool work partners. I dedicate this to any of you, who just like me, our parents wanted us to study medicine at some point in our lives.Enough of the gist, Over to you Prels….. Hi Guys, I am Prela, a medical doctor currently working in a TV station as a producer of a health show and Health Desk Lead. Before venturing onto this new task, which I find exciting, I was in the thick of medical practice, working as an Emergency health care Doctor. My reason for making this switch was purely to advance my career, as I am putting to
Hey my darlings!!! Happy New Year. Been away for a long while,but am definitely back with a BANG!!!   Life after NYSC for me has been a fortunate stroke of serendipity. I had a couple of expectations and targets in 2018 for things I know I have control over. For those things I know I don’t have control over, I didn’t bother setting targets for them. Honestly, it’s best to know how God works with you as an individual. For me, I have noticed He doesn’t give me a clear cut picture of where He is leading me. All He expects is that I obey His leading, along the line the blessing comes.   I actually began 2018 volunteering with Khan foundation as a #HopeAmbassador. I tutored children in Makoko who have never been exposed to any form of education. During my time there, I came to a conclusion that people appreciate what you leave in their hearts more than what you leave in their hands. I saw firsthand what it meant to live a sacrificial life.  My point exactly, be kind and help thos