Skip to main content

RELENTLESS

                                                         

An enabling environment was all I needed. I had prayed and envisioned working in an enabling environment during my service year. I needed a place that would give me the space to grow and nurture what I loved to do best.

On arrival to Ibadan the ancient city, I made a list of all the functional media houses. Those who know me, know my personal statement “BE DELIBERATE ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS”.  I obviously didn’t know anyone in the city nor did I have money to waste on paying anyone to get me a slot in a media house. All I had was God and a very strong will.

I had gone to the secretariat to commence my registration process when we were all told to return in three days. It was one of two things, to sit at home and wait for fate to take its cause or I could take deliberate steps to channel my faith in the direction of the result I wanted.

I decided to approach all the media houses I had penned down and ask if I could get a request letter stating  that they wanted me in their outlet. I planned to add the request letter to my other documents when submitting and believe that I will be posted there. What was the worst they would do if they see the letter? 

I approached the security personnel in the first media house and asked to see the HR, he asked if I knew him but I said no. He immediately  burst into a very loud laugh. Long story short, I didn’t get past the receptionists  desk before my request was turned down.

In the second station, the staff I met said he would get back to me BUT I wasn’t totally captivated by what I saw so I didn’t bother following up.

In the third location, they were very welcoming but  had stopped taking  Corps members .
I headed back home with hope, woke the next day with even more hope, got dressed and off to number four I went.  I didn’t connect with what I saw one bit and so without meeting the Director whom I had requested to see, I walked away , no....I actually ran away. I had seen a lady walk into the directors waiting room with a kettle and believe me, it was not an electric kettle. In my head, I asked myself what the other departments would be like IF the directors office had such activities going on. It definitely didn't look like an enabling environment. You know that point when you ask yourself who sent you message?

 Next stop was Splash fm  which by the way was very far from where I lived. I remember muttering to myself  “This very far one may just be the one , Irene give it a try”. I stopped a bike and off I went.
On getting to Splash fm fondly called White house as I later got to know, it was beautiful.  From the security post , I loved the energy. I said to myself, this is the place.
I saw the receptionist and told her what I had come for. She said in the most subtle rejection  voice possible “ Oh am sorry, there are no vacant slots available,  and the HR has ordered me not to take any more entries”

Ahh!! If there was a time to give up, it certainly wasn’t at that point trust me. Do you know I actually refused to leave o... like it was my father who owned the station. We went back and forth over ten times as she kept saying no and I kept telling her to please try and inform the HR I was there. She was just tired of me and had to ask if I knew anyone there , to know why I was so insistent. She had seen that I was a difficult case.
Guess what she did? She dumped me at the lobby. Gracious God, I was there for hours. In my head, I had concluded I would sleep there if I had to. Finally, the HR saw me  and asked her why I was there, she said she had told me to go but I refused so he called me to his office. I told him what I was there for. He said to me “ I am very impressed that you have not acted like a conventional private school student who wants her parents to do everything for her. You came out all by yourself, you were persistent. I will give you the letter”. 

Long story short. He gave me the request letter and I was posted there. It has since been all shades of amazing. 
In all these, I learnt that not all No’s mean Go and life doesn't favour the faint hearted.

If there are issues you would like me to write up on, kindly let me know in the comment box below.

P.S Feel free to comment and subscribe for newer posts 






 





.

Much Love,
Lady I

Comments

  1. Nice, it is always good to pursue you dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ton a wholesome life, it's best you pursue your dreams.

      Delete
  2. Quite inspiring! success is truly for those who are relentless in achieving it. Never give up on what you truly desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly . Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete
  3. Wow, Since the first day I met you I have always known you worthy to be an Inspirational woman. Thumb up Big Sis as I fondly call you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My very faithful readers Yejide, thanks a whole lot and yes I accept my position in your life

      Delete
  4. Irene!!! I trust you! Determination is your watch word and I've always seen it.
    ...Osh

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always full of energy. Keep going higher dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Canadian Tosin. Yes o, girl has gats to use the excess energy

      Delete
  6. Yes....i know this story already....we serve a faithful God. Keep going girl...more lofty Heights to attain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes....i know this story already....we serve a faithful God. Keep going girl...more lofty Heights to attain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE PLIGHT OF AN AFRICAN CHILD

It was a sultry Thursday afternoon. A certainly good time to take a cold shower. I had just finished  my CDS which is the community development service. Walking out of Mapo hall, I noticed over a dozen children sitting on the floor, dirty looking with no flip flops on. They gazed at the NYSC members hoping to get money or food from us. I just couldn't move a step further after I saw these children. I approached them and asked my friends to go on ahead. "Hi guys", I said to them. "Why are you not in school?"  It was just 1:15pm so it was logical to say they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Like a chorus, they replied, "Ko si Owo" meaning no money. I became more interested since I was told there was free education in Oyo. If you know me well enough, you should know am my own ambassador for a better Nigeria. I tried asking them more questions  and they told me  they usually pay 3000 naira in government schools so it was not totally f

BOOK SMART OR LIFE SMART

Hi lovelies !!!! I decided to do a blog hand over to a dear friend who’s a doctor by profession and I was opportune to work with for a while on the health desk. He’s quite an amazing dude and gosh , our first two weeks of working together was WAR!!! We were always arguing about any and everything possible. So I guess your wondering how on earth I allowed such an annoying guy into my blog space. Truth is we moved from being fight buddies to cool work partners. I dedicate this to any of you, who just like me, our parents wanted us to study medicine at some point in our lives.Enough of the gist, Over to you Prels….. Hi Guys, I am Prela, a medical doctor currently working in a TV station as a producer of a health show and Health Desk Lead. Before venturing onto this new task, which I find exciting, I was in the thick of medical practice, working as an Emergency health care Doctor. My reason for making this switch was purely to advance my career, as I am putting to
Hey my darlings!!! Happy New Year. Been away for a long while,but am definitely back with a BANG!!!   Life after NYSC for me has been a fortunate stroke of serendipity. I had a couple of expectations and targets in 2018 for things I know I have control over. For those things I know I don’t have control over, I didn’t bother setting targets for them. Honestly, it’s best to know how God works with you as an individual. For me, I have noticed He doesn’t give me a clear cut picture of where He is leading me. All He expects is that I obey His leading, along the line the blessing comes.   I actually began 2018 volunteering with Khan foundation as a #HopeAmbassador. I tutored children in Makoko who have never been exposed to any form of education. During my time there, I came to a conclusion that people appreciate what you leave in their hearts more than what you leave in their hands. I saw firsthand what it meant to live a sacrificial life.  My point exactly, be kind and help thos